The Ed-Watch series is designed to increase access to information on what decisions are being made regarding public education in Clark County and Nevada.
Thursday, August 23, 2018
CCSD Board of Trustees Meeting
Below are some discussion highlights that Trustees discussed or took action on during the regular board meeting on 8/23/18. Click here to see the meeting agenda.
Deal Made with CCEA Teachers’ Union for Teacher Pay
- Pending teacher consent, a deal has been reached on the teachers’ union contract and pay increase.
Two School Facilities Named
- Canyon Springs HS Football Field has been named after Hernandez “Hunkie” Cooper.
- Green Valley HS expansion has been named Richard and Linda Rivera Wrestling Center.
Agreement Reached for Alternative Disciplinary Practices that are Minimally Disruptive to Educational Opportunity
- This Memorandum of Understanding creates a partnership between the Clark County School District, the Clark County Department of Juvenile Justice Services, and the Office of the Clark County District Attorney to work together to minimize disruption to a student’s education and provide an alternative to punitive disciplinary practices. This creates diversions away from the criminal court system.
Instead of receiving a citation for a misdemeanor, students receive a warning.
For students who are heading back to school from Juvenile Justice Placements or short term suspension, there is a transition plan in place for that student’s return.
Trustees also discussed opportunities to receive student feedback and engage a broader representation of the community. The next meeting of the Advisory Group is September 20th at 8:30am.
To see the Memorandum of Understanding, click here.
Agreement Reached for Landscape Conversion Rebate
- Motion passes 6-0 to enter into a Landscape Conversion Agreement between the Clark County School District and the Southern Nevada Water Authority (SNWA) to allow CCSD schools to receive a rebate on funds for converting irrigated spaces into a space that can be used for gardens (drought-tolerant spaces).
- This is an administrative clarification to change real-property agreements that support new school gardens at a number of schools– changing the signer to from the school to the District.
Other Discussion Items:
- Exploring requesting a waiver from the state to not implement the Nevada Educator Performance Framework (NEPF) in exchange for another teacher evaluation process.
- Consent agenda passes 6-0, including hiring Strategies 360 to execute Government Affairs work for the 2019 Legislative Session; two positions were eliminated in the department.
Potential Future Agenda Items & Trustee Reports:
- Review and discuss the Naming of Schools and Education-Related Facilities policy. (Trustee Young)
- Trustee Report
- Trustee Garvey:
- Providing reports and relevant information to Bond Oversight Committee.
- Trustee Garvey:
Sign up to receive a notification when a new Ed-Watch post is published: