The Ed-Watch series is designed to increase access to information on what decisions are being made regarding public education in Clark County and Nevada.
Clark County School District Board of Trustees
What is the Board of Trustees & what are they responsible for? The CCSD Trustees are publicly elected decision-makers for the school district. They are responsible for providing oversight to the Superintendent and establishing District-wide policy. Trustees are accountable to work with their communities to improve student achievement.
Click here to learn more and see a list of current Trustees
Click here to Find your Trustee District
How often does the Board of Trustees meet? Trustees meet twice per month (second and fourth Thursdays) at 5pm at the Edward A. Greer Education Center (Board Room): 2832 E. Flamingo Road, Las Vegas, NV 89121.
Click here for a full list of Trustees meetings and agendas
Click here to visit Hope For Nevada’s #NVEd Calendar
Can community members engage at Trustee Meetings? Decision-making bodies benefit greatly from hearing public input and multiple perspectives. Community members can sign up to speak after the agenda has been posted– by calling the Board Office at (702) 799-1072 at least 3 hours before the scheduled meeting, or signing up in-person at the beginning of the meeting. Prior to each agenda item being voted on, speakers can share their perspective after the Board’s discussion and prior to the vote.
Thursday, June 13, 2019
Clark County School District Board of Trustees Meeting
Click here to see the meeting agenda
What happened at this meeting?
Many members of the public provided testimony to Trustees regarding the recent decision to cut 170 Dean positions at the Clark County School District. Click here to read about this in the Las Vegas Review-Journal.
Trustees Heard a Presentation About the Removal of the Dean Position
Superintendent Jara provided a statement and brief presentation about his decision to eliminate the Dean role and displace current Deans. The Superintendent assured the public that school safety will continue to be a priority for the District.
Trustees Unanimously Approved the Consent Agenda
Consent agenda highlights:
- Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) Local Plan
- IDEA: Early Childhood Project
- Airforce Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps Unit (JROTC)
- Grant Submissions:
- Victory Schools Authorization
- Funds to continue to the Youthful Offender Program at High Desert State Prison
- Nevada Ready 21 Technology Grant
- Tesla Career & Technical Education Grant
- Gifted and Talented Education (GATE)
- Books for School Libraries
- New members of Bond Oversight Committee: Al Davis & Eugene Lazaroff
- Repairs & updates to a number of school buildings and playground facilities
- Annual Membership to Council of Great City Schools
Trustees Repealed the CCSD Governance Policy E-2: Student Learning
The E-2: Student Learning policy relates to identifying strategies to improve student learning. This policy is being repealed because the active Focus 2024 strategic plan addresses this.
Trustees Approved Updates to CCSD Construction Bids Policy (7210) and the Purchasing Authority Policy (3311)
The construction bids policy addresses the major differences that have occurred between construction bids and the final costs.
The following updates were made to the construction bids policy:
- Changing the designee from Assistant Superintendent to the Chief of Facilities
- Construction change orders cannot cumulatively exceed 3 percent of the original contract for new construction
- Changes in services cannot cumulatively exceed 5% of the original contract
Click here to see the policy.
Corresponding changes were made to the Purchasing Authority Policy.
Trustees Heard a Legislative Report
CCSD Staff provided a report to recap the end of the 2019 legislative session. The presentation focused on bills and priorities that were part of CCSD’s legislative platform, which include:
- Modernizing the K-12 Funding Formula (SB543)
- Preserving Ending Fund Balance (SB543)
- Increasing Funding for School Safety (SB89, SB551, SB528)
- Incentives for Title I Teachers (AB196)
- Additional Resources for Read by Grade 3 (AB289)
- Preserving an Elected School Board (Failure of AB491, AB57, SB105)
- Continuation of Early Childhood Education (SB84, SB555)
- Separate Revenue Stream to Support Vegas PBS (SB501)
Click here to see the presentation.
Potential Future Agenda Items:
- Information about School Safety funding
- Information about learning strategist placement
- Review the decision to remove the Dean role, including the options that were considered, and how the decision was made.
- Budget updates
- Revisit governance policies