The Ed-Watch series is designed to increase access to information on what decisions are being made regarding public education in Clark County and Nevada.
State Public Charter School Authority (SPCSA)
What is the SPCSA & what are they responsible for? The SPCSA sponsors and oversees public charter schools across the State of Nevada. The Authority consists of nine appointed members responsible for overseeing educational and operational standards, and holding sponsored schools accountable to the academic achievement of students.
How often does the SPCSA Board meet? SPCSA members meet once monthly– on Fridays.
Click here for SPCSA meeting schedule and materials.
Can community members engage at SPCSA Board Meetings? All meetings are held publicly at the Nevada Department of Education building in Carson City and the Nevada Department of Education building in Las Vegas (1st floor boardroom). Members of the public are invited to attend at either location. A time for public comment is provided at the conclusion of each agenda item and at the conclusion of each Board meeting. There is a time limit of three minutes per speaker. Members of the community providing testimony must fill out a visitor card, available on-site the day of the meeting.
Alternatively, public comment may be submitted in writing at firstname.lastname@example.org, and any such public comment received prior to the meeting will be provided to the Authority and included in the written minutes of the meeting.
Click here for a list of all SPCSA Members.
Click here for a list of all SPCSA sponsored schools.
Friday, May 29, 2020
State Public Charter School Authority Board Meeting
Click here to see the meeting agenda
SPCSA Executive Director’s Report:
- The SPCSA has identified nine agency-wide initiatives for the 2020-2021 annual plan. The plan includes developing a differentiated approach to grant monitoring and oversight and a long-term engagement strategy with a Growth Plan working group. Click here to view the full list of initiatives.
- SPCSA staff is planning for the fiscal impact of COVID-19 for the upcoming years. This includes planning for a 4% budget cut for FY19 and anywhere between 6%-14% budget cut for FY20. SPCSA is recommending that schools plan for the potential of significant cuts. Click here to see the full update related to SPCSA’s COVID-19 response.
- In alignment with the Nevada Department of Education’s decision to carry over star ratings and school performance designations, the SPCSA will also carry over academic designations, including notices of concern.
- SPCSA received 13 Letters of Intent to submit charter applications in July. Additionally, there were five requests for amendments for the spring amendment cycle.
Board Heard Updates & Approved Amendments from Charter Schools
SPCSA board members heard from school leaders & board members of four approved SPCSA schools that have not yet opened.
- Pinecrest Academy of Northern Nevada shared updates related to enrollment, marketing, and transportation. Additionally, the board approved the school’s transportation plan, with conditions. Click here to view the transportation plan and conditions. Click here to view the full update.
- Las Vegas Collegiate shared updates related to enrollment challenges and concerns with student safety related to the COVID-19 pandemic. The board approved the school’s request to defer opening until the 2021-2022 school year. Click here to view the request.
- Girls Athletic Leadership School shared updates related to their facilities and enrollment. The board approved addition of 7th grade for the 2020-2021 school year. Click here to view the full update.
- Explore Academy shared updates related to their temporary facility and enrollment. The school anticipates submitting an amendment request to add 8th grade for the 2020-2021 school year.
Board Approved Charter Contract for CIVICA Nevada Career and Collegiate Academy
The board approved staff recommendation to authorize CIVICA Nevada Career and Collegiate Academy, with conditions. CIVICA Nevada Career and Collegiate Academy will serve grades Kindergarten through 7th grade in 2021, and grow into K-12 school by the 2026-2027 school year. Click here to view the staff recommendation and conditions.
Board Approved Three Charter School Contracts
The approved the contracts transition former Achievement School District Schools under the authorization of the SPCSA, effective July 1st.
Click here to view the contract for Futuro Academy
Click here to view the contract for Nevada Prep Charter School
Click here to view the contract for Nevada Rise Academy
Board Heard Updates on Site Evaluation Report
SPCSA staff provided an overview of the draft legislative report on Site Evaluations due to the Legislative Committee on Education by July 30th. The report includes an outline of the site evaluation process and analysis of findings. Since January 2019, the SPCSA has conducted 60 site evaluations at all sponsored schools’ campuses.
Click here to view the draft report.
Board Heard Update From Schools Under or Previously Under Receivership
Quest Preparatory Academy:
- Litigation with CSP Bridger regarding school properties has been settled.
- Progress has been made with reconstituting the school’s board. Six potential board members, including two parents, have been submitted to the SPCSA for approval.
Discovery Charter School:
- School leaders anticipate a low teacher turn-over rate for the 2020-2021 school year.
- School leaders are prepared to be responsive to changes to the school model based on health and safety standards related to COVID-19.
Sign up to receive a notification when a new Ed-Watch post is published: