The Ed-Watch series is designed to increase access to information on what decisions are being made regarding public education in Clark County and Nevada.
Clark County School District Board of Trustees
What is the Board of Trustees & what are they responsible for? The CCSD Trustees are publicly elected decision-makers for the school district. They are responsible for providing oversight to the Superintendent and establishing District-wide policy. Trustees are accountable to work with their communities to improve student achievement.
How often does the Board of Trustees meet? Trustees meet twice per month (second and fourth Thursdays) at 5 pm both virtually and at the Edward A. Greer Education Center Board Room (2832 E Flamingo Rd, Las Vegas, NV 89121).
Can community members engage at Trustee meetings? Decision-making bodies benefit greatly from hearing public input and multiple perspectives. Currently, members of the public can submit comments on agenda and non-agenda items through email or voice recording. Public comment can be provided in person, via email, or via voice recording. Email comments should be submitted to Boardmtgcomments@nv.ccsd.net. To submit a voice recording on items listed on the meeting agenda, call 702-799-1166. Voice recorded public comment is limited to 1 minute 30 seconds.
Thursday, November 17, 2022
What happened at this meeting?
Trustees Approved the Consent Agenda (7-0)
Consent Agenda Highlights:
- Recap of budget appropriation transfers
- Unified personnel employment and licensed personnel employment
- Employment agreement for the Deputy Human Resources – Chief of Recruitment/Retention, Development and Business Processes role
- Appointment to the Nevada Interscholastic Activities Association Board of Control
Explore consent agenda items here.
Joint Meeting with the Audit Advisory Committee
Trustees Received a Presentation of the Annual Independent Auditor’s Report for the Fiscal Year Ended June 30, 2022
Representatives from Eide Bailly presented the annual Independent Auditor’s Report for the fiscal year that ended June 30, 2022. Highlights included:
- Auditor’s issued an unmodified opinion, which is the highest level of assurance that financial materials are correct and can be relied upon.
- The Government Auditing Standards report showed no material weaknesses or significant deficiencies.
- The Compliance report did not find any non-compliance.
- Uniform Guidance on Major Federal Programs report yielded an unmodified opinion and did not identify any significant deficiencies or material weaknesses.
- The Schedule of Expenditures showed a healthier financial position trend year-over-year.
- The reserves (fund balance) have increased to almost $113M, or 4% of expenditures and restricted funds now total around $207M.
- Revenues were around $30M less than budget, due to decreases in enrollment and investment income. CCSD holds investments to maturity, however, and will not be selling them at a loss. It is expecting to earn about 2% on those investments.
- Spend was about $191M less than budget, mostly due to staff vacancies and supply chain carry-over.
- Total expenditures were around $260M lower in totality, again due to staff shortages and timing of spends that were delayed by supply chain backlogs.
- CCSD is the largest employer in Clark County (over 40,000 employees), with most in the instructional unit.
- Cost-per-pupil spend continues to trend upward, while student-to-teacher ratio is trending downward.
Trustees Approved the Independent Auditor’s Narrative Report of Recommendations and District Responses to Recommendations for the Fiscal Year Ended June 30, 2022, and Independent Auditor’s Statements on NRS Compliance (7-0)
Trustees approved to accept CCSD’s responses to the independent auditor’s recommendations for the fiscal year that ended June 30, 2022. The written responses and narrative will be incorporated by reference into the minutes, and the report will be filed as per NRS 354.625. Trustees also accepted the auditor’s statements on NRS compliance, including any necessary corrective actions. These will also be transmitted and filed.
The report found CCSD to be fully compliant in all areas.
Explore the narrative report.
Trustees Approved the Authorization to Include the Recap of Budget Appropriation Transfers between Governmental Functions of all Funds for the Period from July 1, 2021 – June 20, 2022, in Official Board Minutes (7-0)
Trustees approved authorizing inclusion of the recap of budget appropriations transfers from fiscal year 2022 (July 1, 2021 – June 20, 2022), in official board minutes.
Explore the recap of budget appropriation transfers.
Public Comment on Items Not Listed on Action Items of the Agenda of the Joint Meeting
Members of the public shared comments on this item regarding:
- Suggestions on how to better shift spending to the staff level, and general comments on compliance
Public Comment on Non-Agenda Items
- Changes to public comment and engagement with the Board
- Issues with late busses and inability to track some busses
- Suggestion on dress code compliance
The next Meeting of the Board of Trustees is scheduled for December 8, 2022, at 5:00 p.m.